Sunday, January 20, 2013

Fabric Covered Cork Board

My craft room has been pretty neglected style-wise. I just really couldn't figure out exactly what I wanted to do with it. I have white walls, a HUGE white table, a white serger, a white sewing machine, a white Cricut, a white printer... You get the idea! It needs some color and I needed some inspiration.
 
I was at Hobby Lobby trying to find some fabric for my sister. Long story short: I bought some minky fabric to make a blanket, it turned out AMAZING, went back to buy more because my sister asked, and they were out. Go figure, right?
Not to let my trip to Hob Lob go to waste, I meandered through the fabric section and found this fabric. Love, love, love! And seriously, where else is my husband going to let me put a bunch of pink in our house? 40% off in hand, I only needed a yard, which actually ended up being more than enough.
I bought two cork boards at 30% off making them $6.30 each. Side note: I know you are thinking "why did you buy two boards instead of just buying one big one?" Answer: I bought one board awhile ago when I was going to do a PB knockoff, but I liked this idea better. If I were to do it again, I would totally only buy one gigantic board.
Turn the boards upside down and line them up. Now staple the heck out of them. I got a little carried away and didn't get them centered on occasion, but who cares? This will keep the boards together while you cover them. Remember, if you buy one board, you obviously can skip this step.
Lay your fabric right side down and place your cork board right side down on top of it. Starting with the long sides, begin pulling your fabric up and over your board. Staple as you go. If you look at the picture, I stapled the fabric where the cork is. BAD IDEA! I had to pull them all out and redo it. The staples are too long and poke through the other side. So staple the fabric directly to the wooden frame. You can thank me later.
The hangers came with the board. I used two for this size. I marked where I wanted them and hammered them into frame. Again, not in the cork! I made that mistake, too.
I absolutely adore how it turned out! Stay tuned for some super cute push pins to go with my new cork board.
I Heart Nap Time
Lil\'Luna

No comments: