Monday, August 29, 2011

Miss Captain America

Although I absolutely HATE the Walmart here, I went the other day to try to find some basic white shoes to dye.  I didn't find the shoes but I did find this cute shirt for $3.  I knew I could turn it into something for Tana.
I started by cutting off the sides of the shirt.  I measure around Tana's upper body and added a few inches to the sides.  I wanted the end product to fit loosely.  Make sure that you cut evenly on both sides so that your image is still centered.
I then cut the top as close as I could to the original neck line.
I decided to cut the sleeves from the existing sleeves.  It worked great because I could use the existing hem of the sleeve and not have to worry about trying to resew.  I cut to pieces from the sleeves at 6x12.
Using my sleeve template from this post I cut a J shape from the sides of my pieces.  Continue following the Peasant Top tutorial to finish the dress.  The only difference is I made mine into a dress instead of a shirt. 

Once I had the dress constructed, I followed this tutorial to make the elastic casing in the middle.  I measured up from the bottom and marked where I wanted the casing to be.  I chose to have the elastic sit lower on her waist as to not take away from the print.
I love how loose and comfy it is.  This dress will definitely last for a while, which makes it even better.
The diva can still move around and play doggie, which makes it a winner in her book.  To finish off the look I decided to use some of the scraps to make a little flower for her hair.  Giving her that extra little sass!

5 comments:

Ranae and Matt said...

so cute!!

Just Jaime said...

Very cute and inspiring!

Unknown said...

Super fun and comfy! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

Unknown said...

How fun! I bet she loves it!

Anonymous said...

I look at your blog all the time, in fact, your blog is the only one I ever view. I don't do facebook, blogs, email, or any other computer ..... thing. At work, I am on my computer or my blackberry so much that when I get home, I refuse! But I do tell all my friends about my clever girl in Wyoming! With hugs and kisses from your favorite Aunt!