Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Vintage Chic

Yeah, I know.  I have been gone a L   O   N   G time, but we hit up the Gma's and Gpa's house before school starts and I didn't really want to advertise that we were going to be gone an entire month.  But, I am back and have a laundry list of ideas to share with you guys.  Also, my MIL bought me a hand sander!  No more trying to borrow one or mutilating my hands with regular sand paper.

While in Washington, my SIL dropped in for a quick visit.  On Sunday she walked out of her room wearing a nice skirt with a super cute slip hanging out (purposefully, I should add!).  She mentioned that she got said slip at either Anthro or Urban.  I didn't want to ask how much she paid for it.  All day I thought about how I could duplicate it.  Just thinking of all the possibilities in styles and colors.  Ever had a skirt that just wasn't long enough.  Problem solved!

I started with basic broadcloth.  I talked to my mom about my idea and she suggested the broadcloth.  I originally was going to use satin but realized it would be a lot more difficult to sew with.  I cut my piece of broad cloth to my measurements.  I measured from my waist to just above my knee.  This is the length.  I didn't measure around my waist, I just made sure that it would wrap around with about six inches of extra material.  If you want your slip to end up fuller, add more than six inches to your width.
Sew/serge the two short sides together to create a tube.

To prevent fraying I serged the top and bottom edges.
Now you want to create a casing for the elastic waist.  I bought non-roll elastic so that it would not roll around when I pulled the slip on and off.  You could use any size, but I chose 1/2".

Fold your edge over and iron, making sure it is big enough to fit your elastic.  Sew around the entire tube leaving a small opening to thread your elastic through.  Cut your elastic to your waist measurement minus about an inch.  Thread your elastic through the opening and sew the two sides together with a zig zag stitch.  Sew the small opening closed.  If you are not familiar with this process google "elastic casing".
I purchased two yards of lace from HL.  The nice thing is that they have a pretty good variety of lace by the yard.  I also figure that you could dye the lace to make it any color you want.  The lace I was drawn to was of course one of the most expensive ones, but with my 40% off it made it not so bad.  I serged the raw end of my lace to make it easier to deal with later.  It also caused the lace to gather.  
Pin the serged edge of your slip to the serged edge of your lace.  Make sure that the right side of the lace is facing out.
Carefully sew around the entire width of the skirt.  Make sure you are catching both the slip and the lace.  I went extremely slow!
Once I got to the back of the skirt I left a small opening.  Flip your skirt inside out and bring the two ends of the lace together.  You should have excess amounts of lace.  Sew down the lace to create a tube.  You want to get the lace as close to the same size as the slip.  After I sewed the lace together, I serged the raw ends closed.  Then I flipped the skirt back the right way and sewed the small hole closed.
Your final product should look like this.  Nice, simple slip with a cute touch of lace.  Pretty excited to see how it looks under a skirt!
Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Shante said...

SIL never pays full retail, even at Anthro and/or Urban. SIL has duplicated her slip several times since her WA trip, too. SIL uses stretch netting or muslin and highly recommends them both. SIL likes your tutorial.

Unknown said...

What fun possibilities. I love that this could make a lot more skirts in the stores wearable! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!