Thursday, August 18, 2011

Now I Know My ABCs


Before we left Utah I happened into a consignment store to check out the cool, vintage merchandise. I found a few small things I liked and was about to check out when something caught my eye. Next to the counter was an old cupboard door. It was this awful off white color with streaky paint, and the middle sections were painted unevenly with chalkboard paint. But I knew it had potential.

The bad part: I have a VERY strong disliking for chalkboard. VERY STRONG!
The good part: The middle sections popped right out by unscrewing sections of the back.

I sanded everything down, spray painted the frame red, distressed, and inked. Now I had to figure out what to do with the middle sections. My first "brilliant" idea was to spray paint the existing wood pieces with magnetic spray paint. I headed out to HL, spent almost $11 on the can, came home, and got down to business. After meticulously following the directions and reading about it online I used the entire can and... NOTHING! It had very little magneticity (not a word?).  

At first I was pretty devastated, and then a little pissed off. Instead I opted for sheets of metal. It took a while to find what I wanted, at the price I wanted it for, but I prevailed. I had the sheet cut to the measurements I needed and glued them right to the back of the frame.
Lastly, I found some rope at HL sold by the yard. I drilled two holes in the top of the cupboard and strung the rope through. A simple knot at the end of each side of the rope and I had the perfect way to hang it.
The Diva loves "playing letters" and Landon uses it to spell and sound out words. Win win!



Tip Junkie handmade projects



7 comments:

Julia said...

I love this. I have an old mirror frame I have been meaning to do this to. Where did you buy the sheet metal? They cut it for you? I love this idea! So crafty girl!

Katherine said...

Bri, I love this! I've been doing some similar things with regular frames, but using a cupboard door is just genius!

I could see it being awesome for a chore chart or something too. Like the bottom is all of the chores, and then you put them in order in a to do list on top or something!

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

My girls would love this. definitely saving this idea. If you get a chance I would love you to link your magnet board up to More the Merrier Monday. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

@Julia- I bought the metal at Home Depot. It is actually flat sheets used for air conditioning units. So much cheaper that way. I took it to this place downtown and they cut it for free. Someone at HD told me about the place.

Doodlecraft said...

This is beautiful! I am totally impressed! I am hosting a Mirror Week over at my blog starting today--and other kinds of fantastic wall art! Feel free to head over there and link this amazing magnet board up! :)
Nat
doodlecraft.blogspot

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

What a great use of the cabinet. Your kids are so lucky and it sounds like they spend a lot of time enjoying your creation.

I am a new follower from I Heart Nap Time Sundae Scoop. If you have a chance come by http://messforless.blogspot.com and say hi!
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What an great use for this cabinet! Looks great!

Kathryn (visiting from Tip Me Tuesday).