Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Meet Toothy

...and his sister, Toothina!  I LOVE THEM!!!

I have seen this idea on some random people's blogs.  I am assuming that they made them because I don't think I have seen anything like this to purchase.  And why would you when they cost so little to make. 

I started by printing off a picture of a tooth.  I could have drawn one myself but, alas, I am a perfectionist.  I used this as my template to cut out a front and a back piece.  With my front piece I hand stitched eyes and a mouth by doubling up my thread in my needle.  I could have used embroidary floss but did not have the colors I wanted on hand.
On the back I cut a piece of felt to fit on one of the "feet".  This will serve as a pocket for your child to place their tooth.  When the tooth fairy takes the tooth, the money can be placed in the same pocket.  This was also handstitched.
Line up your pieces, wrong sides together, and begin hand stitching your tooth closed.  When I had about 3/4 of the tooth sticthed, I began adding the stuffing.  Make sure to really get the stuffing down in the legs.  You can see that one of Toothina's legs is a little "skinny".  Finish stitching around until you reach the beginning.

You can add all sorts of embellishments.  I decided on a little hair accessory for Toothina.  You can't beat a nice hot pink and zebra combo!  I also thought (after I finished, of course) that you could hand stitch your child's name onto the back.

So many possibilities for such a small cost.  Like, literally under a dollar.  Nice!

I linked this project to http://www.alittletipsy.com/2011/08/diy-under-5-lucky-penny.html but have NO idea how to get her link button onto my post.  Help?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These are so so cute! I love the idea of having a place to put the tooth so it does not get lost before the tooth fairy gets it. Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!