Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Tie for the Sophisticated

I had planned on doing another skirt tutorial, but thought that I would show a little love to the boys.  I think it is a little too easy to get caught up in all the fun girl stuff, so the boys get a little left behind.  Once again, I found this tutorial on Make It and Love It.  If you haven't found this site yet you are missing out.  I came across this site when it was pretty much brand new because one of my really good friends lived by Ashley in Rexburg.  I have been following it ever since.  Ashley has really easy to follow tutorials and is great about doing step by step pictures for all you visual people out there.
One particular tutorial that recently caught my eye was repurposing a necktie into a bowtie.  Landon has several Children's Place ties that I LOVE.  The only problem is that three of them fell apart.  I tried to retie them but they just didn't look the same.  They have been sitting in my craft room for awhile now waiting for the day when I would figure out what the heck to do with them.  Well the day has arrived!  The tutorial was so easy to follow and you don't even need a sewing machine, just some good old fashion hand stitching.  If you don't know how to hand stitch, she has a tutorial for that, too!  The only adjustments I made were I started the initial tie at only 4 1/2 inches rather than the 5 1/2 inches she did for her husband.  I also did something a little different with the neck part.  I started making the long section that wraps around and was getting really frustrated because it was way too thick for Landon's neck.  As I was cutting and ironing and trying to fix it I realized that I could just use the neck piece that was on the original tie.  It is adjustable and snaps open and closed.  No need to sew my own or add any velcro.  I absolutely love how they turned out.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Brenda Smith said...

I have GOT to make one. I've seen them and I have a little guy who is now big enough that I bought him white polos with the collar so he could wear a tie/bowtie to church. I'm going to use some of my hubby's old ties. Thanks!