Thursday, April 7, 2011

Bubble Skirt

 
Or something like that... I originally found the idea for this here.  Now if you look at Ashley's you will notice that is has a lot more fullness in the skirt.  This is where I struggled because my material I was practicing on (hoping that it would work perfectly the first time) wasn't wide enough.  Essentially it should have been gathered quite a bit more.
The main difference is that I started with material rather than making the skirt from an existing piece.  I rummaged through some of my scraps and found the material I wanted for the top piece of the skirt.  Then I noticed that it matched the sheet I used for the curtains perfectly.  I decided to use the leftover material for the skirt lining.  I started by measuring and cutting my pieces.  My top piece should have been a lot wider than it was, but when I went to cut the material it was only 26" wide.  To determine what measurements to use I simply measured Savanah.  Ashley mentions that the lining should hit about mid-thigh.  I followed her directions pretty much exactly.   
The only part I just kind of figured out was sewing the bottom of the lining and the outer skirt together.  I didn't bother finishing either one of those edges like she mentions.  I figured that it would be on the inside of the skirt and I could zig-zag stitch the unfinished edges.  So I sewed the two pieces together, trimmed down the excess material, and did a quick zig-zag stitch to keep it from fraying.  One day I will own a serger! 

Do I love it?  Eh...  But now that I know what to do differently I can try it again on some of my cuter fabric.  If you really want it to turn out looking great the first time, really stick to her directions.  I was a little too lazy to click on the other links and reread older directions.  Especially when it came to the measurements!! 

No comments: