Thursday, April 14, 2011

Handkerchief Skirt


My sister was browsing V&Co the other day when she called and told me about this cute skirt tutorial.  Side note: One day I too will actually take cute pictures of my projects.  Until then...  After checking out the tutorial and realizing how ridiculously easy it was, I ran over to Hobby Lobby.  One of the many things I love about HL is that they have a huge variety of everything.  The handkerchief section alone has at least 50 different designs.  And at $0.99 a piece (okay, some are $1.99) who can resist?   
I initially picked up two designs to test the tutorial out.  Another great thing about HL is their fabric section.  I always go there when I need a simple, plain fabric.  Their broadcloth is always $2.99 a yard.  While broadcloth may not be the most expensive looking fabric, it is great for simple details, like the bottom strip on the skirts.  I purchased 1/4 of a yard ($0.75) of the broadcloth, which was enough for the bottom of two skirts.  The tutorial was seriously so easy.  The part that took the longest was the ironing.  I thought about skipping it a couple times, but remembered previous experiences that didn't end so well.  This is the perfect project for beginners.  Simple straight line sewing and a couple cuts.  The only thing I adjusted was the width of my bottom piece.  I wanted it to be a little more prominent, so I measured it at 5" rather than 4".
Savanah wore this skirt to church last Sunday.  In a whim I put a hot pink tutu underneath it to make it fuller.  Love how it turned out!  I snapped a quick picture on my phone before she ripped the skirts off after church.  I may be a little biased, but she is pretty darn cute.  Enjoy! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

She is pretty cute! :)

Brenda Smith said...

So cute and easy. I'll have to try some! Katie sent me. :) I'm lovin' your stuff!