Friday, April 15, 2011

Hoppy Easter

Cheesy?  Eh.  All over the internet people are using bird nests in their decor.  I have seen several different adaptations of it.  From places I definitely can not afford like Pottery Barn and Ballard Designs, to all the DIY bloggers out there that made their own.  I decided to jump on the bandwagon and picked up a few supplies at Hobby Lobby.  Side note: Since moving to Cheyenne you will hear me talk in abundance about HL because it is sadly the only place to shop here. 
 I purchased two grapevine wreaths for about $0.85 since they were half off.  They have several different sizes.  Mine measure about 6" in diameter.  The Spanish moss was not on sale but I used my 40% off to make the entire bag $1.20.  The Easter eggs are a smaller size than normal eggs.  I got the bag of eggs (12) for $1.00.  The great thing is that you can make two nests for about $3.05!
I began by placing my wreath on top of a piece of felt.  Using a marker, I traced the inside of the wreath so that I would know exactly where to cut.  Once finished, I cut the felt out and glued it to the bottom of the wreath.
Then spread plenty of hot glue around the felt and add your moss.  There really is no rhyme or reason to how you do it, but just try to make it look as natural as possible.
Now onto the eggs.  My original plan was to paint the eggs white and then speckle them with brown.  Yeah... didn't so much go as planned.  I took the eggs outside and figured I could spray paint them.  Apparently the eggs were WAY too light for the force of the spray paint, and it really didn't adhere to the plastic.  As you can clearly see...  My next plan was to decoupage book pages onto the eggs, but it seemed like a lot of work for something that I was not sure would even turn out.
 Finally, plan C.  As I was searching through my craft stuff for said book I came across a ball of twine.  I had plans on making decorative balls with the twine and figured the same process could be put to use on the eggs.  You simply wrap the twine around the eggs, adding small amounts of glue as you go.  Side note: be careful with the glue.  Obviously.  But I currently only own a high temperature glue gun and burned the dickens out of my fingers.  So spend the $4.00 and buy a cheap regular glue gun!  You can see how I started the egg in the picture above.  That is probably the hardest part.  When you get to the top you finish it off the same.  I added a little more glue to the top to make sure the end piece stayed put.
This is what the final project should look like.  I did all twelve in about an hour while watching Greek on Netflix.  Simple, mindless work.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com said...

I have been admiring these eggs for a while and will probably do like you did. I totally like plan "C". I wish I was there when you spray painted those eggs. Sorry, I had to chuckle because I do things like that all the time. I think that is why I like to craft - it is very entertaining.
Found you on Tater Tots and Jello and following you now.

Katie & James Shannon said...

I'm so going to make these. Did you get the eggs at hobby lobby too?

Anonymous said...

love this !