Saturday, April 20, 2013

Quick and Easy Birthday Gift

One of my closest friend's daughter turned eight today. Her dad is currently deployed in Afghanistan and she wanted to wait until he got home for her party. My friend thought it might be a fun idea to throw her a surprise party today, since she knew she wouldn't be expecting it. And she was right! Total surprise.
 
Eight year old girls can be a little tricky to buy for. They don't really play with toys much anymore but are still too young for things like make-up and accessories. One thing I do know is that Camille LOVES skirts. She is definitely a girly-girl!
 
My first thought was to head to Children's Place for some plain t-shirts, but then my sister told me that Walmart had some for half the price and a bunch more colors. My Walmart had about fifteen different colors, and at only $3.47 each, I grabbed four. Then it was just a matter of matching fabric.
I started simple. A brown and cream skirt with a coral top. No frills, just a elastic waist. But definitely one that she can mix with whatever color top.
The next one took me a little to find a good fabric to go with this teal top. I like that the small amounts of teal pop from the skirt. I added a little brown ric-rac to the bottom for some detail.

The black skirt got a little pink binding sewn along the bottom. Instead of sewing the binding over the material like normal, I sewed it behind the main fabric to give a little layer.
The last skirt is my favorite. I added about two extra inches of fabric on the top and top stitched before adding my casing. It gives it more ruffle at the top. Then to lighten up the skirt, I added white ric-rac a long the bottom hem.
 
So easy and fun mix things up with a simple skirt pattern.


1 comment:

Tiffani said...

Okay... Can you live by me so I can invite you to one of my daughters party's... Love it! (PS... Totally serious, San Antonio is a big military city!) Wink wink!